Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 14:05:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape driver problems

> > > Hmm, indeed. The density determining code does indeed issue a read of
> > > MAXPHYS bytes. It seems to me that all HBA's should at least support that!
> > > The maintainer for the 1542X will have to speak to this tho...
> >
> > I'm not the aha maintainer (Warner is), but I do know that it cannot do
> > more than 64K at a time.  So you shouldn't be using any more than that.
>
> Nonsense. That's what bounce buffers can or *should* be used for too.

In this case, the problem is that the bounce buffer code has attempted to
allocate space for the transfer, but it's sufficiently physically
fragmented that it requires too many s/g entries to describe it.

Either the aha code needs to be fixed to allow more s/g entries, or the
bounce buffer code needs to be fixed to allocate things in larger chunks
and thus keep fragmentation down, or we should just abandon these useless
10-year-old ISA SCSI controllers and worry about more useful things. 8)