Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 1997 17:36:00 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        pechter@lakewood.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Sysctl variables

On Thursday, 2nd October 1997, Bill Pechter wrote:

>really,
>you could use both commands in the same pipe -- for example (this is a quick
>hack from memory)
>
>att ls | att cut -f1 -d"x" | bsd cat -n
>
>since the AT&T subsystem didn't do cat -n you could get the best of both
>worlds on the fly.  Made shell scripting interesting if you didn't
>specify the universe in the command.

Yes, interesting, yet in practice, I found it a nightmare.  The ability
to use these prefixes to change the behaviour of every command meant that
people did that!  So, I could write a script using normal commands and have
some bozo invoke it as "att do_the_stuff" and it would fail.  So, I had to
be acutely aware of universe issues at all times.  It was rarely a help,
and always a possible problem.  People were always shoving "att" or "ucb"
into scripts to fix the problems caused by the "ucb" or "att" in the script
further up the call hierarchy.  I am so glad to see the back of it!

Again though, I'm not just a rabid "Not Invented Here" guy.  I've tried
a lot of SysV and BSD and hybrid systems and pure BSD beat the others.
I would limit the imports to very carefully selected portions.  I'd import
from DOS if there was anything of value there! ;-)

Stephen.