Date:        Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:22:47 +0100
From:      Arjan Knepper <arjan@jak.nl>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Compilation of the source distribution

--------------0DEEEAEE68360B2EFBB983A8

Hi,

We're using FreeBSD 3.0 with Hylafax 4.0pl2.

A first we installed Hylafax from the port collection without any
problem. But now we need to make some 'hacks' in a few parts of
the hylafax package and therefore we installed the source
distribution and recompiled it almost without any problem. But
when i compare the sizes of the executables, the new compliled
excutables are about 7 times the size of the original
executables. I tried to optimize more with the gcc compiler -o3
option but that doesn't had any effect.

The libs (tiff, jpeg) we are using are from the
port-installation.

Could you tell me what to do to make the same size executables?
Do we have to strip something from the executable, or link
against new libs or whatever...

And are the changes to the source for Getty.c++, UUCPLock.c++,
skel, really needed because it seems to work well without these
changes?

TIA
Arjan Knepper
--------------0DEEEAEE68360B2EFBB983A8

begin:vcard
n:Knepper;Arjan
tel;fax:+31-(0)10-243-7314
tel;work:+31-(0)10-243-7362
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.jak.nl
org:JAK++ Software Development B.V.
adr:;;Stoveer 247;Rotterdam;;3032 GB;Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:arjan@jak.nl
x-mozilla-cpt:;-7904
fn:Arjan Knepper