Date:      Mon, 29 May 95 8:40:54 MET DST
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu
Subject:   Re: LINUX emulator working (dare I say DOOM here we goooooo)

> >I've tried just about everything on my 0412 system, but I get nothing but Bus
> >Errors (core dumped).  Which feels like the lkm isnt, any suggestions?
>
> Did you use the undcoumented option COMPAT_LINUX?  This option isn't even
> in LINT and causes compiler warnings when used.  `linux_syscall' in
> exception.s is out of date and messes up `intr_nesting_level'.

Errm, Yes I forgot to tell, you need a kernel with options

options COMPAT_LINUX
options SYSVSHM
options SYSVMSG
options SYSVSEM

> I tried a couple of simple Linux utilities and test programs and found
> the following:
>
> - I have libraries in /lib (as in Linux) and ld.so in /sbin (not quite
>   as in Linux) so there was almost a name clash.  Linux's libc.so.4.5.26
>   worked because its major number is larger than FreeBSD's libc.so.2.1.

You should put you linux ld.so + libs in /lib as of yet, this is
about to change though..

> - Linux OMAGIC shared executables (with text and data together) don't work.

There is no support for this yet (if ever)
> - Linux ZMAGIC shared executables seem to work.

> - FreeBSD's `file' works better than Linux's `file' to tell me what Linux

ZMAGIC & QMAGIC executables work.

>   executables are :-).  This may be the fault of the Linux installation
>   being old.
> - some debugging printfs enabled by COMPAT_LINUX were executed.
> - In an i/o testing program, signal(SIGINT, onsig) returned SIG_ERR.

Hmm, from the kernel ?? I think not, but the lkm has some..

>   When this error was ignored, select() returned an error.  I expected
>   these to work and termios stuff to fail a little later.

Signals are not dealt with proberly yet, we need some changes to
our signal system in order to do that..

Soren Schmidt  (sos@FreeBSD.org | sos@login.dknet.dk)  FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time