Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 06:28:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        dg@root.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

John Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Mar 1998 14:25:56 -0800, David Greenman <dg@root.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>Why should donors part with their money if they have no control over
> >>getting their concerns addressed?
> >
> >   Jordan was pretty clear about this already. Most non-profit organizations
> >work this way, for example - United Way, PBS, etc. The donors *trust* the
> >principals to spend the money in a wise and useful manner.
>
> Yes, but those are organizations performing charitable works for the
> public good, and giving the donor a tax deduction.

John,
	please get your facts right before you make statements.

	1. FreeBSD does *not* provide tax write-offs to its donors.
	   FreeBSD is *not* a recognized charitable institution.

	2. FreeBSD does perform charitable works for the public good.
	   Many educational institutions use FreeBSD as part of
	   their "computing infrastructure".

	3. (D)ARPA funded a significant amount of BSD development.
	   Busineses are allowed to use BSD code *almost* without
	   restriction (read the copyright for details).

	4. The IRS views FreeBSD as a tax paying entity.

jmb