Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 23:00:34 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

>David Greenman writes:
> > >The troubling disks for us seem to be seagate hawks, but I have also had
> > >problems with an ibm 0662 (but it could be seagates in the same bus).  I
> > >have tried a 2G barracuda and 4G hawk for news spool, both with same
> > >results, disk gets confused and scsi driver returns I/O errors for all
> > >accesses or the system panics.
> >
> >    We've been having similar problems with Seagate Hawks on wcarchive. I plan
> > to switch them out for 4GB Quantum Grand Prixs in the near term.
>
>Have you discussed about this with seagate?  With sparcs they seem to work
>just fine.

   No, I haven't. I think the Hawks have firmware bug(s) that only show up
after days of heavy disk I/O and/or when interacting with drives from other
manufacturers. I have very little patience for this this kind of thing which
is why I have no plans to mess around with Seagate tech support. Of course
it's also possible that there is a problem with the Adaptec 2940 sequencer
code that's in FreeBSD, but I'm beginning to seriously doubt that.

-DG