Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:09:25 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bktr NTSC -> PAL

#define quoting(Doug White)
// > bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 18 int a irq 11 on pci0:12
// > Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Temic PAL tuner.
// >                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
// >                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
// >
// >   I've searched the sources for the problem, but the tuner detection is
// > inside i2c, which I don't fully understand.  It does not personally
// > bothers me, since I'm using the card only in composite video mode, but
// > I have a friend that says to have the same problem.  And a bug is a
// > bug, and must be fixed.  :)
//
// Modify /sys/pci/brooktree848.c and search for OVERRIDE_TUNER.  Set the
// OVERRIDE_TUNER define to PHILIPS_NTSC, rebuild the kernel (no need to
// re-CONFIG) and install.
//
// The fourth card may have a changed EEPROM definition or the computer may
// be modifying the EEPROM data.

I thought that the i2c command was issued to read the chip type directly
from the tuner, and not from a EEPROM.

Any hints on how could I debug the EEPROM to find the real cause of
the problem, and maybe send patches ?  I could deal easily with the
bt848, but found no docs for the tuner.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br