Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:19:52 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

At 5:27 PM +0200 6/17/98, Nick Hibma wrote:
>    Garance wrote to Nick, in response to a message that Nick sent
>        to Garance (but was mistakenly not sent to the hackers list):
>    > I was thinking more towards a short list of things that a newbie
>    > (or almost anyone) would need within a few hours of starting a
>    > fresh install.  The "just to get going" packages, not the "this
>    > is what we run on our production machines" packages.  Many of
>    > the things you listed do make sense for a "just to get going"
>    > list, but certainly things like apache are not needed early in
>    > the game.  And I'd argue that for something like apache you
>    > might want to download and build the latest version anyway (I
>    > know I would), so there's no point in installing the package
>    > version just to replace it a few hours later.
>
> That is true, but the idea of profiles and a more copious choice of
> what you might want to install is not a bad idea either I think.

I think it is a "slippery slope", as each of us has a different
collection of packages which we feel are important for machines
once we have them setup as a production service.  If we start down
this path, we will probably end up just reorganizing the ports list,
whereas what I'm hoping for is a very short list of packages which
are displayed during the initial install time.

> But for the initial installation before a package manager shows up,
> maybe you are right. That should be kept clean and nice and simple.
> But if bash is in the list, aren't people going to argue that jbsh
> (Joe Bloe's shell) should be in that list as well?

I would expect most shells will be on this "short list".  As part of the
install process the user going to be asked to create some personal ID's,
and that account-creation will work better if the shell is already
installed.  Shells are an example of a package that you "need" (if
you're really used to some particular shell) even before the install
process itself is over.  I just mentioned bash because that's the
shell I "need".  Obviously I can get by using other shells, but it
only takes about five minutes before I start missing shell features
which I'm pretty used to.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute