Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:29:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marius Rex <mariusr@hawaii.conterra.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Xlib install

I was just trying to install 3.4 Release on my system yesterday,
from the official Walnut Creek cd-roms.  And for some reason, I can
never retrieve the Xlib files for XFree86.  I have tried multiple times,
and everything else install just fine.  I can just choose "No" when it
asks if I want to try to retieve the files again, and the rest of the
install works beautifully.  (I am using the novice install meathod.)

Now we have the situation that X-windows mostly works.  I can't, for
example, reteive the videocard database when I try to set up X-windows.
The shell script setup works, but I can't specify my card, yet
everyting else goes through.  And well, the graphical setup tool doesn't
work at all. (no-bigge there)

So I thought, hey, I have the full 4 disk set.  I thought I could just
utilize disk2 and get things working.  Well, I can't go back to the
distributions option in the /stand/sysinstall menu to uninstall what
pieces of x-windows are already installed. (Good thing to do before I
try to reinstall)  I get the same error
that I would from using A "custom" install.  I read the errata.  I doubt
downloading the new boot disk image would help here.

I could say more, but lets stick to one problem per email.  If I could
nicely unistall the XFree86 distribution I could likely just re-install
it as a port. (From disk 2 even.)    I don't know how to uninstall the
distribution by hand, but perhaps I can find that in The Complete
FreeBSD? Well, and advice beyond reinstalling withough XFree86 and -then-
adding it later? A clue on how to figure out which files are missing, and
thus retrieving them off the live filesystem would also be a boon.

Please cc replies to this address