Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:36:48 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers list)
Cc:        are@communique.no (Are Bryne)
Subject:   Re: NOT READY asc:4,1 error messages... (fwd)

As Are Bryne wrote:

> I tried sending this to questions first, but no reply was forthcoming.
> [please keep me cc'd]

I'm moving it over to -scsi.

> sd0(ahc0:0:0): NOT READY asc:4,1
> sd0(ahc0:0:0):  Logical unit is in process of becoming ready, retries:4

I think that's an old system.  The current code retries this case
until it encounters a different ASC/ASCQ.  Basically, it means your
disk is just spinning up.

> Any ideas as to what this is?
>
> Flaky scsi-disk? Something else?

Together with the other SCSI complaints, i would first look for a
misterminated (or mis-powered) SCSI bus.  Make sure only the ends of
the chain get terminators, and avoid having anything else than the
SCSI controller feeding termination power.  (It's in theory acceptable
to have more than one source of term power, but in practice, it has
proven to lead to occasional problems.  Disk spin-downs belong to this
problem category, from my experience.)

--
cheers, J"org