Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:04:32 +0100
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        kde-freebsd@freebsd.kde.org
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] X related scripts in Xclients ports

--nextPart8992962.MKtF8Wrray

On Monday 15 November 2004 14:27, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> I think it would be wise to first take a look (and a testdrive) of Jose's
> work before roundabout dismissing it.

Although my first reaction is "I don't like it" you ought to know by now th=
at=20
enough chocolate or some good solid arguments can sell me on changing my=20
mind.  I guess I'm asking to be sold on this.

> As the author of the kdm-stuff in the current kdebase port, I'm aware of
> the flaws it has and how support-intensive it has been - Jose's doing work
> on this in order to _work_ with this, so the support-question is indeed
> interesting here. Also, gdm has been launched from an rc-script for quite
> some time now, hence the POLA question isn't so clear cut - and depending
> on how Jose's implementation actually looks like, users might never have =
> 'upgrade' to the rc-script way if they choose not to.

I thought gdm was launched from an rc script because it doesn't support bei=
ng=20
run out of ttys - so clashes or double dipping on the case of upgrades is=20
less of an issue there, but for xdm and kdm, while I know some people have=
=20
always run them out of an rc script, the traditional and documented way has=
=20
long been ttys.  =20

The note that there is a race condition here worries me very much.  I wonde=
r=20
what happens for instance, on an upgrade.  What will be the result if say,=
=20
both /etc/ttys and rc are trying to start kdm (on the same tty no less).   =
=20
What if they are both starting it but on different ttys?  What if one is=20
trying to start xdm, and the other is starting kdm?   What if people still=
=20
have the existing gdm script around, and forget to remove it?  What if (and=
=20
hey, I've seen this kind of thing before) ttys is starting xdm, kdm is set =
in=20
rc.conf, *and* the old gdm script is still around :)

I can totally see this kind of situation arising, if people glance at the=20
instructions during an upgrade.  Any instructions to use this new way, woul=
d=20
have to be very clear that if you do use it, you must disable it from ttys.=
  =20
What if (for whatever reason, even just habit) people want to continue to r=
un=20
it out of ttys? Will we continue to support this?=20

Even with clear instructions, we have to bear in mind users will still igno=
re=20
them (or miss it entirely, kdebase spewing a pkg-message in the middle of a=
=20
portupgrade, or a -DBATCH'ed compile of KDE or X, we already know people mi=
ss=20
those messages all the time).  =20

Can the scripts be made to check ttys, and if there is an entry there alrea=
dy,=20
bail immediately?  Doesn't rc provide the ability to only run things=20
dependent on others, so can they be made to run only after ttys has been=20
dealt with completely?  Can they check if any dm is already running (but on=
ly=20
on that tty) and bail if so? Should we run everything out of /usr/X11R6/etc=
=20
or /usr/local/etc instead of /etc - but then, how do we reconcile the fact=
=20
that g/k/w/xdm all should be PREFIX safe, and for some of them, either of t=
he=20
above is the wrong PREFIX.

> So, please, let's be open-minded here (it's kind of weird that I of all
> people have to write this, since I've been the ever-sceptic about this
> whole topic before).

I would simply like a clear explanation of what this would improve, and for=
=20
the issues it will cause to be acknowledged (or better, dealt with).  I'd=20
prefer to be very very cautious on such a change, because we already all kn=
ow=20
a broken DM can effectively lock an inexperienced user out of their machine=
=20
well enough they can't even come ask for help.=20

Regards,
=2D-=20
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org