Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:53:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: consoles...

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> > # If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
> > # when going to single-user mode.
> > console none                            unknown off secure
> >
> > I sure wish I knew what happened here, but at some point past 4.2,
> > /dev/console got broken for Alpha 8200s.
> > What really pisses me off about this is that I worked goddamned hard to fix
> > this back in 4.1.
>
> Actually, what you did back then was fuck up everyone that wasn't using
> zs0.

Actually, no, that's not quite true. I did get things working for /dev/console
properly. See below... If I 'fucked it up' I sure don't recall hearing from
you about it.

> > Does anyone have a notion as to what complete dufus managed to break this for
> > 4.3?
>
> Whoever took the zs0 entry out of /etc/ttys.

Please read my mail, Mike. It works fine in 4.2:

-----
FreeBSD/alpha (ray.nas.nasa.gov) (console)

login:
----

In order for it to work now in 4,3, we'll have to add back a zs0- which at
this stage in the release is probably an okay workaround (albeit
disappointing).

-matt