Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/5821: Swish-e port

The following reply was made to PR ports/5821; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To: Ian Vaudrey <i.vaudrey@bigfoot.com>
Cc: "'doconnor@gsoft.com.au'" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>,
        "FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:03:01 +1030

 > I think that this might be one of those ports that we should
 > make our own tarball for. This should include the manual page
 > from the Swish-E web site and possibly a copy of the GPL. I'd
 > also like to see it include at least one of the rather nice
 > animated gifs located at the web site, but I admit this is
 > icing on the cake.
 Hmm.. I don't know.. Perhaps you could write a html to man converter, and then
 get the document web page via fetch and convert it =)
 Seriously though I think that its a good idea to add the extra stuff you
 mentioned, esp the license.. (although it didn't come with the source tarball
 I downloaded, which IMHO, violates the GNU license doesn't it?)

 > The comment and descr files could do with some work, comment
 > is supposed to be a single sentence describing the port while
 > descr refers to autoswish, which you haven't ported (wisely,
 > I think - it may constitute a security hole).
 Hey, the comment is one line.. Its just long :)
 I just ripped the desc from the web page, and forgot to remove the Autoswish
 stuff.. Sorry :-/

 > There are other cgi-type ports tied to apache, so I think a
 > port of one of the search scripts that use Swish-E (e.g.
 > ftp://qz.to/pub/search.cgi) would not be too specific and
 > would make the Swish-E port more obviously useful. This
 > would be a separate port, though.
 Yes, as it stands the swish-e port is pretty much useless without those
 scripts, which is why I said so in the comment - although I think we should
 hassle the people who distribute it to make there tarball more useful :-/

 > Finally, the current version of Swish-E has a bug that can
 > make it crash in certain circumstances: here is a description
 > of the problem and a suggested fix that you might like to
 > incorporate in the port.
 Well, I'd prefer to send it to the authors so they can fix it for everyone.
 But adding the extra patch is pretty easy.

 |Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
 |http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
 |The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
 |choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |