Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:22:24 -0700
From:      "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>
To:        "Tom" <tom@uniserve.com>, "David Malone" <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Removing files in /lost+found causes panic

Tom, thanks for the suggestion to use clri and fsck.  This did the trick!

David, I have Seagate SCSI drives, so it's not the IDE problem you
described.

My conclusion is that there is something not right in the kernel if trying
to remove a file causes it to panic.  Remove should be a lot like what clri
and fsck does -- dellocate the inode, update free block map, tie up any
loose ends so that that filesystem is stable.  Apparently, rm is trying to
do more -- perhaps stat the file in some way that is getting tripped up on
odd characteristics of the file entry (since it looks like a block or
character device, etc.).  Since these odd files are not supposed to show up
at all, I presume the kernel is assuming that such a situation never occurs
and doesn't have to plan for that contingency.

--Morgan