Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 06:48:32 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

At 5:57 AM -0500 4/29/99, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> I point out that if the executable has no icon in it, then this
> "overrides" from the window manager would come into play, right?
>
> Since the "overrides" have to be there anyway - what's the advantage
> of putting the icon in the exe?

I think that you miss the hierarchy of "defaults".

If the USER has specified the icon for the entity, use his,

else if the AUTHOR provided an icon, use it,

else if the USER gave a default to the window manager, ...

else if the WM-AUTHOR, ...

else use a totally generic icon.

- - - -

Keeping the AUTHOR supplied information in one place certainly has advantages.

Richard Wackerbarth