Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:19:24 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   LOCORE considered evil...

Hi

In my grovellings through the kernel, I became rather annoyed with
the LOCORE macro. This used to mean (inside #ifdef LOCORE/#endif)
"this code is inside locore.s, do not show any C code". These days
it has come to mean 'this (#if .../#endif) code is assmbler code,
please don't bother me with C'. Thus, LOCORE is meaningless, and
counter-intuitive.

I have replaced LOCORE (and _LOCORE) with __ASM__, and put the
patch up at http://people.freebsd.org/~markm/patches/sys.LOCORE.diff.

Please test and review. Please resist bikeshedding :-)

(It works on i386, i386/LINT compiles, and alpha/GENERIC compiles.
Alpha/Generic has not been runtested).

There is a _tiny_ userland patch that goes with this. Utterly trivial.
(Available on request)

Mark Murray
Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn