Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:14:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Funny behavior in NFS

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Karl Denninger wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> We're seeing some funny NFS behavior...
>
> Specifically, if a fileserver is reset or loses connectivity (ie: you get a
> warning about "unreachable") any process which has a binary on that disk
> is dead meat (vm errors).

I have been working on improving the asynchronous i/o code in NFS and it
is possible but not likely that my changes might affect this.  I will
probably commit these changes tomorrow.

> "soft" mounted disks can't be ^Cd out of a "df", for example (that should
> work) and don't time out and fail.
>
> I am beginning to wonder if the "soft" switch is backwards!
>
> Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Don't you need the "intr" flag to be able to ^C out of an operation?  The
"soft" flag gives up the operation after a number of retries but isn't
necessarily interruptable

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761