Date:      Sun, 04 Jun 2006 17:58:11 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@dwlabs.ca>
To:        Jack Stone <antennex@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot delete stubborn files - New Hint

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 02:57:38PM -0500, Jack Stone wrote:
> >From: "Jack Stone" <antennex@hotmail.com>
> >To: wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
> >CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >Subject: Re: Cannot delete stubborn files
> >Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:52:01 -0500
> >
> >>From: Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
> >>To: "Jack Stone" <antennex@hotmail.com>
> >>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >>Subject: Re: Cannot delete stubborn files
> >>Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 14:40:22 -0400

> >>permitted

> >>would

> >>If flags and permissions are all set so that the files should delete, and
> >>they still don't, reboot the system into single user mode and fsck the
> >>partition.
> >>
> >>I had this happen a number of years ago.  We had dirty power and the
> >>system
> >>would reboot on occasion during brownout.  We finally got UPS on the
> >>system,
> >>but months later we had files that wouldn't delete.  The only way we
> >>finally
> >>got rid of them was to reboot in single user and fsck.  I expect the disk
> >>suffered some subtle corruption during an unclean boot and it took time
> >>before we noticed.
> >>
> >>Another option would be to use fstat to make sure nothing has the files
> >>open.
> >>
> >>HTH.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Bill Moran
> >>

> >Hi, Bill: Yes, tried all of that before and again no joy -- very mysteries.
> >A free cigar to anyone who solves this one!
> >

> Since I learned I could "mv" the directory that contains the 2 files, I
> tried to move it to another partition, figuring I had a solution IF I could
> only do that.
>
> Here's the new error when I tried to move the directory from "/" to /usr
>
> mv: /bin/rm: terminated with 1 (non-zero) status: Cross-device link
>
> Does this new hint stike any bells?
>
> THX
> Jack

Hi,

Since you can move the directory can you move (rename) the file?
If you can mv just the files can you access/modify the files?

Because of the cross-device link error message maybe this is hard link
related?  Any files with the same name floating around?  Obviously this
isn't normal hard link behaviour but maybe a link was somehow damaged?

Best Regards,

Duane Whitty
--
duane@dwlabs.ca