Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 00:22:17 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdchat@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   annoying spammers...

uh, i think this would go best here on chat, it's an isp issue too,
but not really, i dunno.

anyway, just a question if anyone else have noticed that their
domain has been used in spamming. i mean, not as a relay, but as
a NAME.

uh, we've getting lots, lots and lots of rejected mail, complains
and all that shit at my work, after someone has been spamming
thru servers around the planet (several of them) with a randomish
sender address from our domain.

uh, that's most fucking, pardon me, annoying.

i'm confident that no mail has gone thru either of our sendmails,
no other machine there even has one.

should i assume it's a hostile attack? or just someone using the
domain kinda randomly? (back in summer before i worked there we
were used as a relay, first thing i did was to install anti-relay
rulesets, and it ended stone dead, until last weekend. ofcourse i
freaked and thought something got passed, but i found no evidence
whatsoever someone could get anything thru without non local ip,
and routers block non local ips complitely)

after i got one spam mail where another .fi domain (yes, i am
from finland) was used as a NAME, not as a relay (boy do i know
lots of open mail servers in finland, but it's another issue) and
started to wonder that maybe it's a custom for spammers nowadays...

anyone? has the situation gotten _THAT_ bad?

generally, is there anything more i could do? kill anyone? yes, we
already fax-flooded at least one of the firms used as a relay for
not having a secure mailserver...

mickey "yes, i'm fucking frustrated"