Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:15:08 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Error (after: Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c)

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 02:28:05AM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> On Saturday 06 July 2002 01:51, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> > I'm stumped!  I've just put together a new PC and tried to install
> > from my trusty 4.5 CD.  It seems to boot fine till the end of the
> > "bright-white" boot messages, then it just hangs.  The last message
> > on screen is:
> > ---
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
> > ---
> > If I am not mistaken, the md0c device uses RAM as a virtual disk?!?
> > Could there be a problem with the memory?

It's possible that the problem is with the memory.  However, since
you've tested with each memory stick alone, then the problem would
have to affect both sticks.  Which would suggest that either you were
unlucky and got a bad batch, or that the memory you've installed isn't
quite right for that Mobo.

Try memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/ --- it will very quickly
pick up the sort of drastic problems you seem to be having.

On the other hand, the problem may not be memory at all: the boot
output doesn't say if the root mount works or not, so it could be the
next thing that's tripping you up.  Now, on my system the "next thing"
that happens is a scan of the SCSI bus, but this box doesn't have any
ATA or ATAPI devices installed.

Can you verify that the system works with some other operating system?
That should help rule out problems at the hardware level.

> PS: I forgot to mention that I have also tried the trick mentioned
> earlier in answer to a similar question:
> ---
> ok set hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
> ok set hw.pcic.irq="0"
> ---

Uh? Your motherboard is a micro-ATX form factor, ie. not designed for
use in a mobile system.  I doubt that PCMCIA components are going to
be on the critical path for installation.

I'd be more suspicious of the ATA chipset.  Is it recognised by that
version of FreeBSD?

How about trying out a direct install of 4.6, or at least the
beginning of one --- use the floppy images from a FreeBSD mirror site,
which should show PDQ if you can get past your current stumbling
block.  Take note of the information about hw.ata.ata_dma="1" and
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" in
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/errata.html.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK