Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:33:37 -0600
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Global ports customization

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:18:17AM +0300, Rodion Novoselov wrote:

> I'm used to putting down customization things for ports into
> /etc/make.conf file. However, I consider it to be a pretty wrong place
> because /etc/make.conf is included implicitly every time make runs no
> matter whether I build a port or something else.

I think you fail to understand and appreciate that you are using UNIX.
TMTOWTDI.  ;-)

1) Wrap your make.conf entries in a conditional:

.if defined(PORTSDIR)
WITH_MY_OPTIONS=YES
.endif

2) Use portupgrade and put your customizations in
${PREFIX}/etc/pkgtools.conf in the MAKE_ARGS section.

3) Submit updates to all of your favorite ports to add support for the
new config target and OPTIONS magic.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon@dvalentine.com                           http://www.geekpunk.net
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  winter is subdued at length / spring