Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2020 15:47:26 -0500
From:      Theron <theron.tarigo@gmail.com>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@andyit.com.au>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound

On 2020-02-08 15:12, Andy Farkas wrote:
> I don't need "sound server support" - all I want  is to play MP3 files
> (mplayer) and watch utUbe videos. And the occasional game of warzone2000.
I leave default options for firefox and mplayer.  In this case, Mplayer
uses OSS (FreeBSD's native sound driver interface) directly, and Firefox
uses sndio to access it.  Both work very well*.  No sound server is
needed, nor do these apps' ports attempt to install one.

* provided I am not disconnecting the sound device in middle of playback
- that always causes a problem, unless I do run a sound server, such as
virtual_oss.