Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:24:35 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@comcast.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   netgraph(4) divert(4) to UDP Tunnel

I'm trying to play around with netgraph(4) for the first time and
there seem to be some aspects of it that haven't "clicked" in my head
just yet.

What I want to do seems like it should be pretty easy. I want to
send some packets through a UDP tunnel. There is an
/usr/share/examples/netgraph/udp.tunnel file that is close to what I
want, but not quite. I want to send packets that have been divert(4)ed
to the tunnel.

I can make my two ng_ksocket(8) nodes via the ngctl(8) interface,

 + mkpeer ksocket d0 inet/dgram/udp
 + name d0 udptun
 + msg d0 bind inet/192.168.64.70:10000
 + msg d0 connect inet/192.168.64.50:10000
 + mkpeer ksocket d1 inet/raw/divert
 + name d1 divtun
 + msg d1 bind inet/0.0.0.0:8668

But how do I then connect the two of them up? I assume that I use
'connect' within ngctl(8), but I haven't figured out what the
arguments need to be with the documentation and examples I've found.

The other thing I suspect I should be doing, is actually running the
'mkpeer' through the first node I create in ngctl(8), but I can't seem
to get that to work,

 + mkpeer ksocket d0 inet/dgram/udp
 + name d0 udptun
 + msg d0 bind inet/192.168.64.70:10000
 + msg d0 connect inet/192.168.64.50:10000
 + mkpeer d0 ksocket d1 inet/raw/divert
 ngctl: send msg: Socket is already connected

I think it is actually complaining about the hook between my ngctl
node and the udptun node and not the creation of the divert socket?

Basically, I think my conceptual problem is with the fact that you
start with the ngctl(8) node in the middle of everything. How do I
create my new nodes and get the ngctl(8) node out of the middle?