Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 17:26:10 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Alex Nash <nash@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv 0.45

Alex Nash:
 |It worked like a charm.  Thanks for patching this so quickly!

No problem.  Glad that did the trick.

 |>  |The card appears to work properly under Windows (after I yanked out my
 |>  |SMC network card :).  Also, I briefly had a version of fxtv 0.44 which
 |>  |would start up and display static, but could not be coaxed into
 |>  |displaying anything from my VCR.  I thought this might be a
 |>
 |> This I'm really not sure about.  I'm assuming you set inputFormat as
 |> desired.  The did you select "Video" from the Input menu?  Also try
 |> selecting the Tuner input, put fxtv on your VCR's control channel
 |> (2,3,4), and put the VCR's VCR/TV selection on VCR.  See if either of
 |> these gives you something better than static.
 |
 |No luck :(  I've tried all combinations.  Regardless of the
 |antenna/cable setting, I get:
 |
 |  - Blank video (all black) and static for audio when the input is set to
 |    tuner.
 |
 |  - Blank video (all black) and no audio when the input is set to
 |    video or S-VHS.
 |
 |I'm stumped.  The kernel appears to identify the card without a problem:
 |
 |  bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 17 int a irq 9 on pci0:12
 |  Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Temic PAL tuner, dbx stereo.
 |
 |I'm not adverse to debugging this at the driver level -- does anyone
 |have suggestions for a good starting point?

Ok, well I'm getting close to the limit of things I can think of to try.
Here are some thoughts:
     - Bring up the Input->Appearance dialog and crank up brightness and
         contrast

     - Play with selecting different input formats from the Format menu

     - Run fxtv with the -colorbars option.  Don't know for sure about
       PAL tuners, but in NTSC-land you should see solid vertical
       colorbars with very pure colors in this order from left-to-right:

          White  Yellow  Cyan  Green  Magenta  Red  Blue  Black

If this doesn't reveal any clues, I think you might want to dial up Steve
or Amancio for some driver debugging tips.

BTW, you might drop the output of "xdpyinfo" on your box into your reply.
I'm curious as to what your visuals look like.

Randall