Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 09:29:41 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Marie-Josee Blais' <mjblais@miranda.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Problems su'ing to root

	[ML]  is your root home directory NFS mounted by any chance?  If
it is, don't do that.  Namely, the default shell for root is csh and it
always tries to read .cshrc from the users home directory on start (we
have had a similar problem on our HPUX boxen, albeit not for root).

	there is still a way to get in, if your rcmd/rshd are enabled:

	rsh localhost -l root /bin/sh -i

	it should ask for password and let you in.  -i is for prompt (at
least on ksh; interactive mode).

	/Marino