Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 17:46:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Victor <sloppyj123@yahoo.com>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should I switch? [was Re: A novel idea....]

Wow, thanks alot for all your advice. I just have a
couple (read: 412) questions about switching to
FreeBSD (if I should do it.) Please keep in mind that
I am a hobbyist developer, but am looking to get
better.

1. Can I work on the GNOME project under FreeBSD? Does
anyone have Ximian GNOME running?
2. Is the FreeBSD project smaller than Debian's? Does
that mean that a certain individual has more or less
projects to choose from? Do you guys need lots of
help?
3. Can I compile apps in GTK/GNOME? I don't think gcc
works in FreeBSD...
4. Can I get involved in the part of FreeBSD involving
moving it to the home/desktop market? Competing with
Linux?
5. How close is FreeBSD to Linux?
6. Is there any logo cooler than the Daemon?
7. Why isn't FreeBSD more popular than Linux? You say
it is so much better!!! How quickly is FreeBSD
developing?
8. Can I work on an apt-get for FreeBSD? Does one
exist?
9. Can FreeBSD run ALL Linux apps (including source
tarballs as well as binary installs like
StarOffice's?)
10. Which is a better development/home user
environment? Honestly. Does Glade work?
11. How steep will the learning curve be for a Linux
user?
12. What are the reasons big companies like Yahoo! are
using FreeBSD over Linux.
13. Does anyone think FreeBSD will be popular enough
to compete with Linux? Windows?

Thanks alot to anyone who can answer any of these
questions!!!
--Jason