Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:00:01 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: just aquestion

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 11:13:31AM +0000, osama zekry wrote:
> hi there i am wonder ( think ) that your operating system is support a dbms
> ( data base managment system) such as oracle 8i, sql server, informix .
> please tell me quikly and how can i install the dbms and how can i connect
> to it using visual basic 6

There are several RDBMS products available and supported on FreeBSD:
the two most popular are MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/) and PostgreSQL
(http://www.postgresql.com/) Unlike the examples you give, you can use
both of those packages for free.

To install, use the FreeBSD ports system
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
or by grabbing pre-compiled packages from one of the ftp sites
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/applications.html

You'll probably need to grab the appropriate ODBC drivers from the
developer sites (http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc/,
ftp://ftp10.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/odbc/versions/full) and
install them onto your Windows box in order to interface with VB6, but
that's just my educated guess as I don't use any sort of MS machine.
Note: you don't want the ODBC stuff from the FreeBSD ports, as that's
desidned to run on FreeBSD and what you need has to run on Windows.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow