Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: revisiting Motif policy in ports

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

[moved to ports, because hackers was obviously wrong for this]

> How about a new DEPENDS_MOTIF (supplied by a port) which might
> build lesstif if HAVE_MOTIF is not set?
>
> I agree that lesstif has become useful.  (former skeptic)

I would suggest that, if HAVE_MOTIF is not set, you want to prompt the
user that Motif was not detected, and then go ahead and build lesstif
automatically.  You don't want to look down your noses at Motif (it's
not free, but that doesn't mean it has cooties).  The prompt ought to
say something like:

Motif libraries not detected (HAVE_MOTIF not defined).
Building lesstif as non-commercial substitute.

I think that's pretty even handed.  The idea is NOT to discourage Motif
sales, while offering an acceptable workaround for those who won't buy
Motif.  We WANT commercial vendors, so we don't want to go around
insulting them.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).