Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:22:16 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   record level too low using CS4236-based card

We are doing research in speech recognition, and we want to use
some PCs running FreeBSD for some parts of this work, including
voice acquisition. Now we are looking for an audio card adequate
to our goals. Once discarded the SoundBlasters, and after suffering
mixer problems (low output volume) with a Yamaha YMF719-based card,
we got a CS4235-based card (Genius SoundMaster).

The chip on the Genius card is a "CX4235-XQ3 EP"; however, it
identifies itself as a 4236:

CSN 1 Vendor ID: CSC4236 [0x3642630e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000 [0x00000000]
mss_attach <CS4236>1 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1:3 flags 0x13

The problems I have found are serious: first, the record level
is ridiculously low: even after setting the "mic" device level to
100 (the "igain" device does not have any effect; why?), and literally
shouting to the microphone, the digitalized input signal has a very,
very low level. Second, the input signal has a high DC component.
When used from Windows (ugh), the audio card works fine, and
the record level is normal. When I boot Windows (ugh), restart, and
then boot FreeBSD, the record level continues low, but the DC component
is gone. The reason must be that the Windows' audio driver initializes
the card correctly, but the FreeBSD's pcm driver does not :-(

I am pretty sure that Luigi has some ideas about these problems ;-)

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@es.FreeBSD.ORG
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139