Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 21:29:03 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   post-install of kernal sources, maxusers max?

Sorry to bother you hackers, but -questions isn't responding, and the
handbook and Complete/Lehey don't, afaics, cover this situation
explicitly.  I can't really afford to screw up this production
machine and start over from fresh disk, nor futz around for hours
guessing what magik combo of post-install choices will do the trick.

==========

I'm working, remotely, on a 4.1 system with only a binary install from cdrom.

Now I need to do a custom kernal.  Can the /stand/systinstall
post-config option be used to put on all the developer source pkg
without bothering the current config?  which choice (I don't want X,
just enough to build a custom kernal)

It's in production as 200 K msgs/day mail hub.

All I need to change, I think, is maxusers since we're getting this
error from postfix:

Nov  8 04:59:41 postfix/qmgr[16383]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
Nov  8 04:59:41 postfix/smtp[16872]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
Nov  8 05:00:58 postfix/qmgr[16876]: fatal: socket: No buffer space available

The machine can get up 200 SMTP processes and 50 SMTPD processes
simulatenously, 256 meg RAM.

Increasing maxusers will fix this pb? afaic, maxusers can't be fixed
with sysctl.

Also, having been over /stand/systinstall a few times in last hour,
there is no post-install choice that corresponds to an initial
install "developer's sources less X  and games", which is what I do
when I install (this customer didn't follow my instructions for the
initial insall).

Also:

On the postfix list, it seems someone has heard from several FreeBSD
"experts" that FreeBSD should not be run at above maxusers = 128,
while somebody else said they were running with 256 happily.

Comments, please?

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5 & 8.2.3 T6B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com: Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways