Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:27:23 -0400
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minipci card support

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 02:07:39PM -0600, Keith Hofreiter wrote:
> I have searched the mail archives and usenet looking for a definitive
> answer as to FreeBSD support of minipci cards, the 3com EL556 in
> particular. Noticed a commit on 2000/08/29 by Jon Chen but that's all I
> have seen. We just received some shiny new IBM T20's and would like to
> avoid the PCMCIA for Ethernet if possible. Has anyone gotten the IBM
> option 09N9774 card to work? How about the modem on the above card, is
> it host controlled or hardware based? I dissected the windows driver
> disk supplied by IBM and I saw no tell tale .vxd files I am accustomed
> to seeing for winmodem devices.

the freshmen laptop this year at RPI is the T20, and we've had quite a
few people running it in a dual boot config just fine.  i know jon had
to do some funky things to get the ethernet to work, since IBM shipped
RPI some weird ass 3com ethernet card nobody else had ever heard of, but
those changes have been committed, so they should just work.  if you've
got the same ethernet the rest of the T20's have, i think it'll just
work.  no idea about the modem.  sorry i can't be more specific, but i
don't actually have one of these machines, i just know people who do.

oh, and i think jon also made some changes to get the x server working
well.  id on't know if those have been rolled in yet.  there is a iso
image with all the changes we made hear at rpi that you can download
from this url:

ftp://ftp.acm.rpi.edu/pub/unix-on-laptops/2000-2001-ThinkpadT20/T20-2a.iso

(i think that's the right url.  i may have copied it wrong)

good luck.

--
garrett rooney                           my pid is inigo montoya.
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net             you kill -9 my parent process.