Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:09:20 -1000
From:      spoggle <dcornejo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   distributed bridging

Greetings,

I'm trying to create a configuration that would bridge interfaces on
different hosts.  Each host would have at least two interfaces, one
would be the inter-host connection, the remaining would be the bridged
interfaces, so that a packet appearing on host a's bridged interface
would also appear on host b, c, etc. bridged interfaces and vice
versa.

My equipment to try this is on order, so it's still somewhat of a
brain exercise.

I would like to use if_bridge (for it's STP) and I was thinking of
bridging the local interfaces and then using netgraph (eiface?)
connected to some other plumbing like l2tp to connect the remote
bridges together.

Does this sound feasible? Anyone have any other suggestions on how to
pull this off?

I've also considered hacking if_bridge to allow the configuration of
remote bridges as pseudo ports, but not sure I'll have time.

spoggle