Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:25:12 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Todd M Kokoszka <kokostm@auburn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: locked out of machine

Todd M Kokoszka wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In a previous post I menteiond that the pkg tools deleted my bash shell. I
> don't have a boot disk and can't log onto my machine because my accounts
> are configured to use bash as their shell and the system can't find it. Is
> there any way I can get a boot disk remotely or get into my machine?

Well, you should be able to log into root and change them to a valid
shell. You may only have to edit /etc/shells. If you have changed root
to bash, you have reached a point of understanding why you don't
fiddle with roots shell. In that case, you will probably have to boot
to single user mode and make the changes there. The boot process asks
what shell to use and sh should still be a valid shell.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA