Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:48:40 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Anastasia Leventi-Peetz <leventi@fgan.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        leventi@fgan.de
Subject:   Re: address autoconfiguration and Generic Kernel

>I have tried to start address autoconfiguration on my FreeBSD-4.0 system
>by putting
>ip6mode="autohost"
>rtsol="YES" rtsol_flags="xl0" # set your interface here
>in rc.conf and rebooting the system.
>After reboot I still had only Link-Local-Address only, though a router makes
>advertisement in Net. Then I started per hand rtsol -d interfacename
>and got that the kernel is not accepting router advertisements.
>I tried to build a custom kernel, to edit KERNEL in
>/usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>but there is nop available option to make router or host
>out of it. The file LINT with more options
>doesn't give anything in thr direction, and the suggested documents

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have changed
net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1
in /etc/rc.network6
and interactively with sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1
and it has worked with the stateless address autoconfiguration.
Still I believe the message was misleading. In the case of Linux SuSe
it is in fact a matter of kernel Configuration. Here it is probably not.
One doesn't reconfigure the kernel with sysctl.

Anastasia