Date:      21 Jul 2002 23:33:11 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11, Nvidia, Geforce 2 Go, Dell Inspiron 8000

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 16:45, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I did another try to get XFree86-4 in 1600x1200 working on
> my Dell Inspiron 8000 with Geforce 2 Go Nvidia.
>
> I chose to use the XFree-4 nv driver patch and not the
> Linux driver from the Nvidia site. Maybe I will do it as a
> next step after I have discussed the following points:
>

> 1. I did a make patch,
>    untared nv.tar.gz in /usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree-4-server/work
>    and built / installed the thing. With a sample XF86Config
>    I was amazed to see the 1600x1200 screen with twm windows
>    populated when doing a startx first time.
>
> 2. I could not get my touchpad or attached PS/2 mouse
>    working. What is the trick?

The sample XF86Config at http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/XF86Config
works on my 8100 for my trackpad and my eraser head.  Make sure you have
moused running on the system first, and that your protocol in your
XF86Config is set to Auto.

I run moused with the -3 flag out of rc.conf.

> During compilation I saw that CFLAGS contained -DUSE_GLX_MESA
> which made me doubt whether this is the most effective choice.
>
> The native NVIDIA driver consist of a GLX part and a kernel
> part (the latter being Linux native unfortunately).
>
> So it seems to me going the Nvidia road is  the more promising
> one as far as performance (GeForce) is concerned.
>
> Opinions, experiences?

I couldn't get the native NVidia driver working for my GeForce2 Go.
That's why I put together those steps for the XFree86 nv driver.  I was
previously using the vesa driver which only worked in 16-bit color with
a lower resolution :-(.  While the performance of the XFree86 driver is
not nearly as good as I'm sure the NVidia driver project would provide,
I'm a big fan of the 1600x1200 screen, and all I do is programming and
web browsing for the most part.

Joe