Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 05:46:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        david@catwhisker.org, phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fstab weirdness / UPDATING

>Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 09:08:41 +0200
>From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>

>Yup, seems like i goofed that patch.  Can you try this for me ?

OK; it works much better with the patch:  it seems to work correctly,
from what I've tested so far.

[Below is a sketch of what I did, so folks will be able to judge how
much trust to place in the above assessment.]

* Booted -CURRENT into single-user mode.  Even though this was a clean
  reboot, I did a (complete) "fsck" before "mount -a", then fired up
  tcsh to use as the shell for the following.

* I applied the patch from within the /urs/src/sbin/fsck directory.  (Yeah,
  I used -C first to make sure patch wouldn't whine too much.)

* Since the patch only affects the logic of a user-level program (vs.
  the kernel, for example), I went ahead & typed "make" while I was
  there.

* cd /sbin && mv fsck{,.save} && mv /usr/obj/usr/src/sbin/fsck/fsck .
  ls -l fsck*
  chmod u-w fsck

* Re-boot -CURRENT, single-user mode.  "fsck -p" now claims to check
  each filesystem.  Good.

* mount -a; things  look good.  Power-cycle the machine.  (This is still
  single-user mode, so the filesystems should merely have been marked
  dirty because they're mounted, but nothing should actually have been
  doing anything to them other than that.)

* Re-boot -CURRENT, single-user mode.  "fsck-p" again does the usual and
  expected fsck behavior -- all filesystems are checked & flagged
  "clean".

I like it.  :-)

Thanks,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.