Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:59:21 +0200
From:      Arne Schwabe <arne@rfc2549.org>
To:        hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad  Hidden Partition & MBR

George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com> writes:

>   - for the bios-managed suspend-to-disk to work, you need to give the
>     bios a place to put it's data.  With some constraints, it seems
>     that it can either be a suspend-to-disk-file in a FAT partition,
>     or a suspend-to-disk-partition.  There's an app on the IBM web
>     site that will build the suspend-to-disk-file for you (it also
>     claims to build a suspend-to-disk-partition, but other IBM pages
>     warn that it doesn't work and that seems to be true).  Or, you can
>     use a linux-y app, lphdisk, to format a suspend-to-disk-partition
>     once you've created it with the right sysid.  I used a bootable
>     linux rescue disk (BG Rescue, I think) to create the partition.

The linux app will compile and work under freebsd just well, at least
for me.

>   - the tools in the rescue partition seem be dedicated to recreating
>     the disk *exactly* as it shipped.  That means that if you
>     rearrange the partition table, e.g. shrinking the windows
>     partition, they'll blow it all away.

At least on my T40p they restore windows into the first parition

>   - as soon as you get your laptop, I'd call IBM support and request a
>     set of recovery CD's.  There's an option in the recovery partition
>     to burn your own, but I wanted real CD's.

Take a close look at your IBM cds they are burned cds. (:
Btw. mine don't as the original rescue parition, the installed windows
wants a activation :(
The windows restored from the rescue parition never wanted such a thing

>   - My only niggles with the machine at this point are:
>
>       o I wish that suspend-to-disk worked under ACPI.
>
>       o When it resumes from S3 suspend, it takes the mouse 15-20
>         seconds to regain consciousness.

Hm, same here

>       o I wish the little status led/light for the mini-pci wireless
>         card worked (rumor has it that it will someday).

The newest patchset of sam@ the led blinks :) But that patchset has
other iusses (no wep)

Arne