Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 20:36:52 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        stesin@gu.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: process monitoring tool (like SysV init)?

the bsd init program is really tied too closely to ttys for it to be
anything other than a kludge (imho).  I was thinking of just porting the
linux init code over to run as a subsidiary daemon until I read the code
(barf).  That makes me think I'll just write my own, but I wanted to see
if someone else had done a good process monitor first.

  From: Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
  On Tue, 20 May 1997, Paul Traina wrote:

  > If one of the programs dies, it should restart it.  If it dies too quickly,
  > it should back-off and log some error messages, ...

  	... and also monitors UPS status and is aware of POWER_FAIL
  	signal?

  > This looks and feels a lot like a lobotomized system 5 init program.
  >
  > Before I actually whack one out -- has anyone seen source code for
  > something that has basicly these kinds of features already done for
  > BSD?

  	init itself?

  > Paul

  Best regards,