Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:26:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (JULIAN Elischer)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New (BIOS) bootblock ?feature?

> > > do we want to integrate this?
> > > Since I originally ported the bootblocks to freeBSD, I haven't done much
> > > with them.. This is my first real  return to the area..
> > >
> > > I have been askled to make the following patches to the bootblocks,
> > > together with a user-level program to control it......
> > >
> > > The patches are now complete and working, so I want to know if the gang
> > > thinks I should integrate them to our sources or whether my client should
> > > just keep them separate..
> > >
> > > Programmable one-time  bootstring.. (or many time)
> >
> > How does this interact with erich@uruk.org's "multiboot" proposed
> > standard and code?
>
> can you give me a pointer?

http://www.uruk.org/grub/boot-proposal.html

He recently released code in several news groups... he's the Intel
employee working with the SMP project.

> > It sounds like a step forward, and any step forward should be
> > integrated (IMO).  It would certaily solve that Italian PC Week
> > reviewer's boot problems...
>
> which were?

IDE	controller 1	master	disk		OS-BS
			slave	<nothing>
	controller 2	master	disk		FreeBSD
			slave	<nothing>

He gets "can't mount root" because FreeBSD tries to mount root from
wd1, but the root is actually on wd2.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---