Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:26:30 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        hetzels@westbend.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pending/29404: Change Cyrus-SASL port to use PORTDOCS, DOCSDIR

hetzels> The following reply was made to PR pending/29404; it has been noted by GNATS.

hetzels> From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
hetzels> To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
hetzels> Cc:
hetzels> Subject: RE: pending/29404: Change Cyrus-SASL port to use PORTDOCS, DOCSDIR
hetzels> Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 17:41:46 -0500 (CDT)

hetzels>  Here's a corrected patch for the Makefile.  PATCH* should be below MASTER*

Please be careful to apply my IPv6 patch.  Though SASL API uses struct
sockaddr * for an interface, it may not been filled.  Originally, SASL
refer only sin_addr field, and it is suffucient to support only IPv4.
However, to support IPv6, we need it filled.  Some applications may
pass struct sockaddr * without filling field such as sa_family or
sa_len.  Though the code has a workaround, it is still ad-hoc.
There is no complete solution without modifying applications.  I dunno
if there is such broken application out there.  At least, the sample
codes you can see in cyrus-sasl is broken.
Further, my IPv6 patch helps only the following case:

	- You are using KerberosIV, and
	- The application accepts an IPv4 connection as an IPv4-mapped
          IPv6 address.

At least, cyrus-sasl port doesn't enable KerberosIV nor doesn't use
IPv4-mapped IPv6 address at all.  Even if you enable KerberosIV
support, it is still okay.

Sincerely,

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/