Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:24:44 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

> On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Wm Brian McCane wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > 	I am looking for a list of ISDN modems that are supported by FreeBSD
> > 2.1.5 or 3.0, but I hate to have to modify skip to work with 3.0 since the
> > customer this is for won't absorb the cost.  I would prefer a modem that has
> > compression capabilities and would allow a greater than 128K feed to go to it,
> > for example 512K to allow better compression.  I have been looking at some of
> > the Ascend equipment, but I think I could get by cheaper using a FreeBSD box
> > as my router, and running skip in the kernel.
> >
> > 	brian
>
>   The 3COM Impact II is nice.  However, FreeBSD has poor support for the
> high speed serial ports (230400 bps) that you need to drive these things
> properly.
>
>   You can get serial cards with a jumper that doubles the rate internally
> on the card.  So FreeBSD thinks the card is running at 115200, but it
> really running at 230400.
>
> Tom

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, my wife told me to "quit reading mail
and earn some money!!!"  Do you know which boards are capable of doing the
doubled clock rate?  Also, do they use a 16??? with a larger FIFO to reduce
the interrupt overhead?  I seem to remember seeing something in the sio driver
about a newer 16550 chip with a large FIFO (is this right?)

	brian