Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:21:09 +0300
From:      Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Vlad Galu <dudu@dudu.ro>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended 10g cards

> On Friday, June 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Daniel Braniss wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I will be 'experimenting' with 10g in the next few months, so
> > I need to buy some cards,
> > After googling for some time, I noticed that there is not realy much real
> > info, and some of it is a bit dated.
> > Since these cards are pricy, could those that have such cards share some info?
> > cheers,
> > danny
> >
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I have had excellent results with Myricom. Granted, I use their packet sniffing stack and not the standard driver, but I believe they have also made sure it scales just as well in more typical scenarios.
>
> Another serious contender to look at is Solarflare. But, as of Novemeber 2011, their FreeBSD driver has been in beta.
>
> Then you have the Intel 82599, which is probably the most widespread 10g card out there and has good software & community support. I think it was the first card supported by Luigi's netmap layer.
>
> It is probably best that you describe your workload a bit, I am sure you will get better advice then.

This is too early to say :-), hence the word 'experimenting', but the excuse is
that we are in the process of revamping our network infrastructure, which is
currently base on an old Nortell Passport 8010 to an new HP 8200, and so far
only switches will be linked via 10Ge, and one of our new filers. Our cpu
clusters
are linked via 1Ge, if and when we get new cpus, it would be nice to have
gained some experience,

thanks,
	danny