Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:20:27 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tosha reports random errors after transition to CAM

Since upgrading from 2.2-STABLE to 3.0-CURRENT, and hence CAM, I
have observed random errors when using tosha to read CD audio data
from my CD-ROM drive.  The drive is branded IBM, but when I purchased
it, I was told that it is a Toshiba XM-4101.

When I try to rip CD audio, tosha emits the following error:

wopr:~/tmp$ tosha -v -t 1 -o out.pcm
Device: /dev/cd0c IBM CDRM00201 !F 0724
tosha: WARNING: Drive type not recognized.
Output file: out.pcm

 track   playing  start    end     raw size  mp3 size   # of
 number   time    sector  sector   in bytes  128 kbps  frames
    1    4:22'18       0   19667   46259136   4196675   10039
error returned from CD-DA read command:
(pass1:ahc0:0:3:0): Vendor Specific Command. CDB: d8
(pass1:ahc0:0:3:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:bf,0
(pass1:ahc0:0:3:0): Vendor Specific ASC

The error is always the same, but it occurs at random places and does
not appear to depend on what CD or track I am ripping.  I never had
any problems pre-CAM.  I have (obviously) recompiled tosha to support
the CAM architecture.

Can anyone provide illumination?
Matt

--