Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 95 9:31:55 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        john@pyromania.apana.org.au (John Herks)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SyQuest works with FreeBSD 2.0R !

> I have just installed a SyQuest 3.5" 270 MB removable SCSI drive in my
> FreeBSD 2.0R system.
>
> So far everything seems to work just fine!

I was speaking to Darren Davis (the author of IOmega's Bernoulli drivers
for various types of UNIX, and now in UnixWare developer support at Novell)
about removable media about a year ago.

You need to be careful if you have more than one drive that you only use
a single disk in a single drive for a system boot instance, since the
OS (incorrectly)  uses the device as part of the ident, and can get
confused if you switch drives.

Otherwise, you should have no problems.

Note that Bernoulli's themselves have formatting issues -- they don't use
a vendor private for their detach format.  If anyone else is considering
Bernoulli vs. Syquest, this should be part of their decision.

Also dual Bernoulli's and dual Syquest use LUNs on a single target to
get two devices.  Some of the SCSI drivers are "uncomfortable" with LUNs.
I would suggest seperate drives at this time.

I suspect throwing in AIX style volume management would muddy the
waters considerably, but no one has done that (yet).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.