Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:42:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Gilad Rom <rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Graphical Desktop for FreeBSD.

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Gilad Rom wrote:
[...]
> In the past couple of weeks i have been working on a little
> project that serves as a graphical front end to pkg_create,
> For the FreeBSD X contest, To make it a little easier for
> people to create themes for that contest.

ports/sysutils/pib

> It is based on GTK+, A very nice GUI toolkit for X,
> And I was thinking about a more extensive project,
> Like a set of graphical tools/front ends to the various
> FreeBSD - Specific tools, like CVSup or PPP.

All nasty things about GTK+ aside (OOP in C, ick), this sounds like an
interesting idea, however getting everyone to agree on all the nitpicky
details is a task I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

CVSup has it's own GUI, and while not for iij-ppp, KDE has a nice little
dialer that works with the version of pppd included with fbsd.

> Since the X Contest aims to bring a Default Desktop to the
> basic FreeBSD installation, as in Installing X with a Default
> Configuration, not with twm as default, It would be nice
> to include other easy to use, graphical applications
> that will share a constant look and feel and will make
> newbies alot more comfortable with FreeBSD. Sure, this idea
> isnt new in any case, but still, this is something We are lacking
> and i really think this could change the way people look at
> FreeBSD as a desktop Operating System, or even as a better way
> to introduce it, In general.

I think this is the basic goal of both Gnome and KDE, and while I would
lean more towards making KDE the default, I think it's probably best to
leave something as neutral as twm the default.  That said, I think that
some sysinstall extension to allow one to select a desktop "theme"
(perhaps, E!, Gnome or KDE, etc, etc) would be a better idea (or at least
second best).

> If anyone has any comments on that, Please do reply.

This all assumes, that attracting the l33t Linux crowd is a good thing.

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |