Date:      Fri, 11 May 2012 10:05:24 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org, mezz@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/165318: sysutils/hal: Western Digital Passport no longer "removable"

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net> wrote:
> On 22-4-2012 18:03, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

>>> Yes. HalFaq was followed on installation of the desktop and at that time
>>> the disk was correctly identified as removable.
>>>
>>> Now, when we try to mount the disk the policykit error refers to
>>> mount-fixed permission, not mount-removable. The users have
>>> mount-removable permissions (and now mount-fixed as a work around).
>>> The lshal output provided with the report, clearly shows that removable
>>> is not set. I've done tracing in hald source to see where it gets it's
>>> info from and it points to cam, but I'm unable to figure out how to get
>>> that info from camcontrol(8). If you know a way how to do that, I'll add
>>> it to the report.
>>
>> Read in the manpage and the 'camcontrol inquiry <device>' will show
>> you if it's removable.
>>
>> # camcontrol inquiry cd0
>> pass2: <TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F DW10> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
>> pass2: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA5, ATAPI 12bytes, PIO 8192bytes)
>
> Ok, so it says "Fixed":
>
> % sudo camcontrol inquiry 2:0:1
> pass2: <WD SES Device 2011> Fixed Enclosure Services SCSI-4 device
> pass2: Serial Number 575837314337304132303839
> pass2: 40.000MB/s transfers
>
> % sudo camcontrol inquiry da0
> pass1: <WD My Passport 071A 2011> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-4 device
> pass1: Serial Number 575837314337304132303839
> pass1: 40.000MB/s transfers
>
> Looks that hal does the right thing, yet something in cam changed to
> make it believe this is not removable.

Yep, it's not a Hal bug. I will change PR's category from ports to
kern (or usb?) and change synopsis from 'sysutils/hal: Western ...' to
'CAM/USB: Western ...'. I have no idea which bug is in either CAM or
USB or both.

You might want to boot in a good kernel or live CD/DVD (maybe FreeBSD
8.x? or 9.0 vs 9.1?) that when your external HDD used to have reported
removable correct to give the dmesg verbose (while HDD is plugged in),
camcontrol inquiry * and etc in PR. To allow someone to compare
between version of FreeBSD.

If you prefer to close this PR and file a fresh one to avoid confuse
for anyone when read in this PR. Let me know.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz.freebsd@gmail.com - mezz@FreeBSD.org