Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 01:19:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.org>
To:        Marek Salwerowicz <marek_sal@wp.pl>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, emulation@freebsd.org, kuriyama@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: emulators/virtio-kmod - poor performance in VirtualBox

Hi,

----- Original Message -----

Even 100KB seems a couple of magnitudes slow for the emulated E1000
between 2 guests on the same host.

> Do you have an idea why this is so slow?

Try disabling checksum offloading (and TSO/LRO if Virtualbox supports
that).

> And why the if_vtnet network driver isn't provided in GENERIC kernel?
> Is it still under development?

Getting it in GENERIC is in my plans. My spare time has been distracted
at some other Ethernet drivers for the last few weeks. I hope to spend
much of my spare time in Dec. on various VirtIO items.

Bryan