Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 1995 10:21:14 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@gilmore.nas.nasa.gov>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken

Joerg Wunsch writes:
>FreeBSD switched to
>syscons as default console driver with version 1.1.5.1 (June '94).
>The previous default driver pccons, as well as pcvt used ^? as delete
>character all the time, and that's also what is our default terminal
>setting (i.e., you'll need an explicit stty for everything else).

I'm glad you've brought this up.  Since forever, I've been a satisfied pccons
user, with one infuriating exception.  Every time I get a new version of
FreeBSD, I have to find, edit, and recompile some dumb file in pccons to make
it generate an ASCII BS (Backspace, ^H, \010, 0x08, whatever) for the key
labeled (guess what) Backspace!

Please don't continue this idiocy!  Honesty and simplicity are the best
policies!  Keys labeled "Backspace" should generate (guess what) Backspace!