Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:27:53 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a kvetch and a proposal

Hello Chuck and 'ports' wisards,

# Now, on to the proposal.  I often find myself remaking a particular port,
# one that I already have correctly installed, just to get at docs that are
# hidden in the dist files.

	YES. I though I am the only guy who goes the very same way.

# What I'd like is the ability to have the docs
# automatically installed somewhere for me, permanently.  It'd have to be
# an optional thing, because I suspect there's a lot of people who are
# either walking encyclopedias, or just don't care to clutter their disks.

[... Nice proposal skipped. Why not? ...]

	Another idea.
	What about having _more than one_ package from the
	same sources? There _is_ a precedent: look at a bunch of Elm
	ports (same base source but different functionality using
	different additional pieces) made by
	Andrew Chernov. One of this packages may be 'WhatEver-17.79-doc.tgz'

	Some other (arbitrary?) app may consist of three parts:
	executable(s) itself, some configs and addtn stuff (which might be
	already present at my host
	and customized by me, so I don't want it to be overwritten)
	and docos. So if I want to do a lemon-fresh install, I get
	the first two packages, wanna docs? than += the third one.

	But if I only want to upgrade executables
	leaving all configs/fonts/whatelse
	intact -- I go get executables package only, and that's Ok.

# Is this needless complication, or a useful feature?

	As for my opinion, several packages from a single source
	is a bit more simple and robust approach.

	How this may be done? Gmm... bsd.ports.mk wizards certainly
	have their own opinion on the topic. ;-)

# ============================================================================
# Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
# features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
# of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
# school photos and much more!:
# <URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;
#

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	An undocumented feature is a coding error.