Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 16:36:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /ports/cdrtools broken in 4.4-STABLE?

Dear Sirs.

I have already used cdrecord a long time with a TEAC CD-R55S
and a PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-R412C 1.07. The main operation
is to burn ISO images from FreeBSD CD-ROM images and other self
made images. This worked very well until a couple of weeks in
the past! It seems that FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE (recent cvsupdate)
and the recent port of cdrtools have problems on both CD-R!!

I took a fresh ISO image from the FreeBSD ftp site. I checked this
image by hooking it into the device tree by vnconfig. I checked
all other ISO images which are to be burned this way to ensure
that they have the right layout. They were all right!

Then I invoke cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=2,6,0 image.iso
and watched the progress of this job. After a successful
completion I tried to read the new CD - and it does
not work!

I burned on both CD-Rs, and I tested on six!!!! different machines
with different operation systems (Win2k, WinXP, FreeBSD, Linux) and
tried to mount the CDs, without success!

The process I use, look at the command I gave above, is the same
I used in the past and all other FreeBSD images are all right I burned
shortly after September, 22th, when FBSD 4.4-RELEASE has been
released. It is very unlikely that two indedepndent CD-Rs in two
diefferent machines at two different places suffer from the same
hardware damage! I think there is a evil problem with the software,
either cdrrecord or the CAM devices in FreeBSD ...

Does anyone can help, report the same examinations or know something
more detailed about this problem?

thanks,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)